Monday, September 11, 2006

Movie Review

A Haunting in Connecticut





Believe me if you watch this movie/documentary you WILL be scared, I am pretty good with horror films, but this one which I saw on Discovery channel, had me shitting bricks! The most appealing thing of all, is that it will soon be released as a revamped version from Hollywood. I just pray that the original concept of the film is kept, and they don't mess it up by adding needless effects. I also hope that they keep with the storyline of the TRUE events that happened in the house, which is one of the things that makes this film so scary, and that is the events portrayed are, I repeat, based upon TRUE events.
Here is the storyline...

Ed and Karen Parker rent a rambling old house in Connecticut. They need to be near the hospital where their 14-year-old son Paul is being treated for cancer. The day they move in, they notice crucifix hanging over all the doorways. More telling is a basement room filled with head tags, toe tags, coffin keys and religious medals, the house is an old funeral parlor. Although they withhold this information from their four children, Paul makes an ominous announcement; ?we have to leave here?this house is evil.?

Now to me that would already set the alarm bells ringing, and I would look elsewhere for a house! But when a loved one is concerned reason doesn't come into the equation.

The names in the docu/film are not those of the family that set up home there, but what happened is taken from transcripts from the family members, and others involved in the haunting. This what makes the film so compelling, you don't see gore and blood, you do see a few violent attacks, but most of the film basis itself on viewing what you 'CANT' see. The most disturbing thing of all, is the families refusal to believe their son, until events take over when they have him committed to a mental home.

This is one film that had me searching on the net to try to find out more about the home, which isn't very often I say that about a film. Most of all though the events that occur in the house are quite plausible, although a couple of them make you think "Oh Yeah!, Sure that happened", but then you see another event and all you can think is "Bloody Hell!".

I will not put any of the events that occurred in this posting as it will ruin your enjoyment of the film, and you really do need to watch it at night to be truly scared, although if you read this quote from someone on the website Internet Movie Database (imdb.com) , even watching during daytime can scare you.
"I watched this for the first time 3pm on a Sunday afternoon (yesterday) the sun was shining and the room was fully lit up, and I was still scared to hell!!!!!! I feel sorry for anyone who watched it in the dark before going to bed!"

They aren't kidding, you can keep your, FT13th, Halloween, Hellraiser, and Nightmare on Elm Streets, this made for TV docufilm, will do a scare job on you no worries!

Starring: Vanessa Lock, Brett Fleisher, Rob Pearson, Tyler Read

Rating: *****


Further reading
Carmen Reed
Connecticut Haunting

3 comments:

Harry Terler said...

I find the language very vulgar
the same comments could be nade
with better taste

Pepper said...

Thank you. I saw the same movie and it scared the bejesus (I hope Mr. Terler won't offended) out of me. I often wondered about the people that resided there.

Impman said...

Hello to you both and thanks for reading.

Harry, I am Ver, Very sorry about my use of the English language, but I felt that it was the only way I could convey the shear scaryness of the film, to everybody. It is a truely scary film, and the use of profanity highlights it.
Once again sorry, but many thanks for your comments.

Pepper, glad you liked the review, if you liked the film you must be looking forward to the remake!