Thursday, March 08, 2007

Weekly Question

Who are the real Victims???

Sorry that I haven't posted for a while! I always seem to be saying that these days, but the truth is I have just got back from Costa Rica, my Internet connection has been down, and I have my mum here for a visit. So the quiz is cancelled till next week, when I think I am going to go with the Blue theme of Wills, but there again...

Anyway, on with this weeks question, who are the real victims. Now by that I mean crime ways. Why do I ask? Well, this morning in the UK there has been quite a bit of a kerfuffle over a copper hitting a black woman 5 times, and been caught on CCTV. Now this young woman was 19, drunk as a skunk, resisting arrest and assaulting the copper. I am not condoning the copper for hitting her, but if that was the only way to restrain her then...

But that got me thinking, why is it this woman has been made to look a heroine, and the copper who was only doing his job is now suspended and looks likely to lose his job?

Here is what I think...


..it is what I have always thought, we are too soft on crime, and criminals are treated far better than their victims. Victim support? Pah don't make me laugh, it doesn't work! Lock the guy away who did the crime without the luxuries of TV, computers, 3 square meals a day, access to the gym etc, and may be, just may be he will think about what he has done.

I have had this arguement sort of before, on punishment, but this time I am concentrating more on the victims. In the UK the crime figures have supposed to have fallen, but I think the reported crime has fallen, only because less and less people are reporting it. Why are less people reporting crime? Because they know damn well nothing will get done about it that's why! If the coppers turn up and get an arrest, the accussed's friends make sure that it isn't reported again. But most of all it is what happens after a crime has been committed that really grips me.

A crime is reported and the crime is given a priority, if it is a burglary that has happened during the night or something, and no-one has been hurt, you may see a policeman, that week. On very rare occassions, you may see one on the same day, but like I said that is rare. They take statements and then go away, before going they ask if you want councelling and they may give you a leaflet. Usually that is the last you see of them for weeks on end, so what is the point?
When we had some stuff stolen, we almost got accussed of wasting police time, as they said that it was a waste of time sending anyone as there was nothing they could do! They didn't even know the full details really.

Recently, I heard about a bunch of prisoners who had been awarded a set amount of damages as they had their TV or something taken away, and this infringed on their basic human rights. What a load of CRAP!!! What about the victims of the crime who are scared shitless to go to sleep in their own homes because they have been burgled, do they have any human rights?? Apparently not.

The other thing that grips me is the fact that during court sessions, the criminal is always made to look a victim - Oh he comes from a broken home, Oh he had no father, oh this oh that. WHO GIVES A TOSS!!!!!!! They bloody well committed a crime, they CHOSE to do so, what about all the other kids of the estate that have come from broken homes who HAVEN'T gone that way??
I am sick to the back teeth of criminals been made into so-called victims.

But by far the worst is the fact that if you smack a kid for been abusive and for smashing up your car, or causing criminal damage, or the like. YOU are the one that gets it in the neck from the police, they are not bothered about the good for nothing career teenager that has done the damage. All they care about is the innocent victim that used minimal force to stop it.

The Criminal Justice system needs sorting out big time, until the true victims are treated like victims, criminals of the world are going to carry on as they are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I have just learned that there are people out there that call them coppers. :o) it made me smile everytime I read it. I'm assuming that's the term you use all the time for cops? It reminds me of movies about Bonnie and Clyde. Love it.

So, then the other thing is, that living in another country from the US, I see a huge difference in police force, presense, enforement, etc. In Italy, all the police ever do is drive really fast down the highway. Petty crime is huge here in Naples but you never hear about police making a presense to stop it. It's a big mafia thing here as well, so I probably shouldn't compare.

Then, in the states, events like you described are so sensationalized by the media that that's all we see. I respect and think the police do their job well in the states and they aren't paid enough for the crude they have to put up with.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, in other countries it is different, sometimes there are countries that are run by a police state and these are the worst kind of countries.
But, in all honesty it is getting more and more of an easy life for criminals these days. They go to jail and learn a lot more from fellow criminals, which was not the idea of sending them there in the first place.

One interesting thing I did see was a new scheme, that had the victims of crime meeting face to face with their persecuter. They had an interview with one guy and he got turned from crime because of it. He needed the full guilt of what he had done to SEE how he had affected people. Said it was the hardest most upsetting thing he had ever done, and would rather spend 20 years in jail than go through it again.... makes you think!

Will said...

Did you know the word "cops" comes from calling them "coppers", and why did they call them coppers to begin with? Their badges, they were made of copper.

I agree that not enough is done to dissuade the continuation of criminal careers. It all has to do with the litigious lust found all over the world but worst of all in America.

What irkes me is these people that sit on death row for years and years even after all their apeals are turned down. Give them their appeal but when all that proper stuff is over and they are officially sentenced to death, walk into the cell when they are asleep and put a 20 cent bullet in their head, but no, that would be cruel and unusual punishment, so we have them sit there, then walk them slowly to the death chamber then let them watch as we strap them in and inject chemicals into their bodies, it gives us a certain satisfaction but what does that say about us? Now I am rambling so I am going to stop now.