Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Weekly Question

Will We Ever Colonise the Moon?





I am sticking with the space/fantasy theme of the quiz this week for my question, as I wanted to know your views on whether or not we will colonise the moon.

One of my favourite shows when I was a kid was SPACE 1999, to see a base on the moon really fired up my imagination, and as I watched it in the 70's, I thought that it was only a matter of time before it happened for real. Indeed I was hoping I would be one of those piloting an Eagle Transporter.


So what happend? Why are we not there yet?


A lot of it has to do with money, and the huge costs involved in sending someone into space, it also has to do with the method of sending them. Although the price has come down an awful lot, is it still viable to spend the inordinate amount of dosh required? Well a few millionaires seem to think so, as more and more are orbiting the earth.

The International Space Station is being built, and loads of nations are committed to it, and willing to use it. But are any of them considering actually building on the moon? Will we be seeing sights such as the image below on our TV screens any time soon.





Somehow I don't think we will.


But I do think that we will be needing to look somewhere to ease the increasing population on Earth. It can't sustain us for much longer, so we ar going to have to look at alternatives, forget Mars, that is just a pipe dream. We need to concentrate on things closer, and that one thing is the moon.



I cannot see any way we will be able to be on the moon in my lifetime, but I hope there might be a way in my kids lifetimes. After all they are only 7 and 2, so there is a good chance. May be they will even be living in something like this...


So I would be interested to know your thoughts on it.

For further reading try;

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_the_Moon



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Dave, I for one hope you don't reside on the moon, the journey gets longer everytime I come to see you now so I don't fancy visiting you on the moon!!!