Thursday, January 11, 2007

Fun & games

Weekly Quiz

Well last weeks quiz certainly had a theme to it that a couple of you enjoyed, and that is because it produced a First. Ironic really as the theme of this weeks quiz is Firsts and Beginnings!
Yes for the first time, someone (due to my generosity) has got themselves 100%, but not just 1 person it’s two! Although they didn’t get reason for the chin being the odd one out that I was after, they did provide a good valid case which earned them the points.
So KIM and WILL, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am going to have to work hard to make this weeks quiz a lot harder for you two! I tossed a coin and it’s Kim who gets to pick the theme of next weeks quiz!

Scores: - Kim 50, Will 50, Mum a respectable 27 and a half!

On with this weeks quiz then:



Round 1: Scenic Scenes

Below I have drawn, well doodled as I am rubbish at drawing, a tranquil scene, containing scenes from 5 movies, you just need to give me the movie, and what connects them all.







Round 2: Part What?

All the scenes here come from the original film or from one of the sequels, you just have to give me the name of the film and if it is from the original or its sequel. So if I showed a scene from Superman 3 your answer would be Superman/part 3. Whereas if I showed a scene from Spiderman your answer would be Spiderman/original, are we clear? Good let’s carry on. For a bonus 5, which one of the 10 is the odd one and why?

1)




















2)











3) Bit of a cheat this one, but it’s NOT the odd one out.

















4)













5)













6)














7)













8)
















9)











10)














Round 3: Waxing Lyrical

All these lyrics come from the artists first UK No.1, some didn’t have any more, some had lots more, some had loads of hits before that elusive No.1, but what are the songs and who are the singers?

1) Didn’t know how lost I was till I found you.
2) So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye.
3) Some nights you’re like nothing I’ve ever seen before or will again.
4) Once I had a love and it was divine.
5) We-de-de-de, de-de-de-de-de-de, we-um-um-a-way?
6) Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past.
7) Everyone’s a super-hero, everyone’s a Captain Kirk.
8) Ya’ll act like you never seen a white person before.
9) When it’s all over please get up and leave.
10) I’ve never seen a sight that didn’t look better looking back.


Round 4: Quizzicles

The famous (surely by now it is!) Quizzicles round, just answer the questions, and remember the theme.

1) Nice easy one to start, Buzz Aldrin was second, but who came first?
2) “The Colour of Magic “was the first, but what was the second?
3) Who is credited with winning the very first Academy Award of Merit?
4) How long did it take Captain Matthew Webb to do what he was the first person to do?
5) In 1974, Stockholm, Kaissa won the worlds first what?
6) The magnifying glass is used throughout the world, but who invented it?
7) At the age of 64 Annie Taylor became the first woman to achieve what remarkable feat?
8) Alice Wells became the first what in 1910?
9) In 1872, who became the first woman to run for the Presidency of the USA?
10) Who was the first black US Secretary of State?


And so ends this week’s quiz, thanks Will it has been a challenge to compile, Finally one for fun.

What most probably was the name of the first man to be shot at Rorkes Drift?

William, because the commander shouted to his troops, “FIRE AT WILL!!!”
Answers to last weeks quiz: Well all I can say is check Kim or Will's answers! The Chin was the Odd one out as the stage show of the films, Sound of Music (Julie Andrews), Grease (ONJ/Travolta), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Dick Van Dyke) all were done AFTER the films. Whereas Chicago with Catherine Zeta Jones was made AFTER the Stage show of the Liza Minelli film. But like I said there reason was just as good!

7 comments:

Will said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Will said...

Well, this time I am going first (get it? First) [I removed my first comment so I could have all the answers together.]

Scenic Scenes
I am going to have to say:
The sky is Star Trek: First Contact,
The lake is First Knight,
Stallone is from First Blood,
Adam Sandler is from 50 First Dates,
and the three ladies in the house is First Wives Club.

They all have the word "First" in the title.

Part What?
1) Saw/part 2
2) Superman/part IV: The Quest For More Money...I mean Peace
3) Pirates Of The Caribbean/part 3 At World's End (tricky tricky)
4) 101 Dalmations/Original live action
5) x-men/part 2
6) Men In Black/part 2
7) Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring/the first one (the four hobbits were only together in the first and a few scenes at the end of the third)
8) Police Academy/Original
9) The Terminator/part 3 Rise of the Machines
10) Star Wars/Original, or were you looking for Episode 4: A New Hope ;-)

Waxing Lyrical
1)
2) Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
3) I'll Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meatloaf
4) Heart Of Glass - Blonde
5) The Lion Sleeps Tonight - Tight Fit
6) Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor
7) 99 Red Ballons - Nena
8) Real Slim Shady - Eminem
9) Independent Woman - Destiny's Child
10) Wand'rin' Star - Lee Marvin

Quizicals
1) Neil Armstrong was the first man to step on the Moon, Aldrin was second (Aldrin's first words? "Magnificent Desolation")
2) The Light Fantasic (The second book in the Discworld Series)
3) Emil Jannings (Best Actor)
4) less then 22 hours (to swim the English Channel)
5) World Computer Chess Championsip
6) Roger Bacon
7) Not only the first woman, but the first person to survive a trip over Niagra Falls
8) First Woman Police Officer (L.A.P.D.)
9) Victoria Woodhull
10) Colin Powell (Followed by the first female SecState Condoleezza Rice)

Fire at Will...Oh I get it...ha, ha, (actually, I use that all the time, someone says FIRE AT WILL and I will duck)

Grrr, I am missing 1 question and the link in the Part What section. I will have to come back for those.

Will said...

Okay a guess on the Part What odd one out. 101 Dalmations is odd one out because although it is the original live action version, it is really a remake of the original animated version, none of the otheres can be considered a remake.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave
Not very good on your artistic work infact didn't know any but will guess on two River Wild and Brokeback Mountain
Films-
1-Saw/1
2-Superman/2
3-Pirates of The Carribean/2
4-Home Alone/3
5-X-Men/1
6-Matrix/2
7-Lord of the Rings/2
8-Police Academy/3
9-Raiders of the lost Ark/2
10-Star Wars/1
Songs
1-Like a virgin-Maddona
2-Bohemian Rapsody-freddie Mercury
3-I'll do anything for love-Meatloaf
4-Heart of Glass-Blondie
5-The lion sleeps tonight-Tight Fit
6-Eye of the tiger-Tight Fit
7-99 Red balloons-Nena
8-White America-Eminem
9-Independant Woman-Destinys child
10-Wandering Star-Lee Marvin
Quiz
Neil Armstrong
2-The Light Fantastic-T.Pratchett
3-Emil Jannings
4-21hrs 45mins
5-World chess championship
6-Hans Lippershey
7-First woman to conquer Niagra Falls in a barrel
8-First woman to be sworn policewoman LPDA
9-Victoria Woodhull
10-Colin Powell
Had no idea whether films were original or sequel so guessed.
Love you x

Will said...

I had found Like a Virgin by Madonna, but according to my research, it only reached 3 in the UK.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I've not been here in awhile but woohoo. If I can't beat him, at least I can tie him. :o) So, I get to choose a topic for a quiz. Cool. I say Children. Do something about kids.

Impman said...

Ooooooh Tough Kim, Tough, OK next quiz is on Kids!