Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Paranormal

Weekly Question : Which of these wouldn't you Dabble in?




Ok folks as it is Halloween today, I thought I would make this weeks question a topical one. It all revolves around the witching hour, and the supposed most haunted day of the year. This is the night before All Saints day, that's right All Hallows Eve, to give Halloween it's correct name.

All around the world people of certain religions are going to be out knocking on doors "Trick or Treating", thousands of kids dressed up as vampires, ghosts, whitches, werewolves, and other such creatures of myth and legend.

Also there will be people practising certain Pagan rituals, to cleanse their souls, but just which of these things would you leave well alone, which would you never dabble in, which do you believe in?
Read on and see just what you would do!

First up on the list is;

The Ouija Board








To me this is one thing that I would never dabble in - ever! There are so many stories surrounding the Ouija board, that you have to give some of them some credance. But is it a truly evil object? What are it's origins? How did it first surface as an instrument to communicate with the dead?
Well this is part of a transcript taken from
Museum of talking boards which is a facinating read.

"OUIJA
A WONDERFUL TALKING BOARD
Interesting and mysterious; surpasses in its results second sight, mind reading, clairvoyance; will give intelligent answer to any question. Proven at patent office before patent was allowed. Price $1.50. All first-class toy, dry goods, and stationary stores. W. S. Carr & Co., 83 Pearl street; New England News Co., 14 Franklin street; H. Partridge & Co., Hanover and Washington streets; R. Schwarz, 458 Washington street: R.H. White & Co.; Houghton & Dutton.
?Hollis St. Theatre program, November 7, 1891, Boston, Massachusetts "


So there you have it, originally the Ouija board was marketed as a toy! But it now has much more sinister and darker overtones.
Let me tell you of a tale I heard whilst in the RAF.

A group of trainee's thought they would have a bit of fun, with the Ouija board, all of them bar one thought it to be a load of old rubbish, and nothing would happen. They conducted this 'experiment' in the baggage room, surrounded by shelves of empty suitcases. Nobody knew for sure what happened, but whilst in the room the luggage flew off the shelves, injuring two of the participants, and the windows blew open. The believer had to be sedated.

The message I gained from it was don't mess with things you don't know about.

Next up, and closely related

Seances




These so called contact with the dead meetings have been going on for years, the difference is that seances are supposed to be conducted to help relatives come to terms with the deaths of loved ones. The thing is these people no longer have any influence on the lifes of people so why on earth would you want to try and contact them?


These too can have nasty consequences, the TV program "Most Haunted" can proabably best testify to that, although this show has gone a long way to make the seance look like a parlour trick, and a con. But would you dabble???


Third up, and something that a lot would probably deal with,


Reiki









Now I don't know much about this Reiki, all I do know is that there are not that many people who can do it. It involves channeling the energy around us, into something to heal someone, it can also be used for other purposes.


Now a lady that I work with is apparently a healer, I thought at first it was bunkem, but was open minded enough as I have read accounts of people with supposedly incurable diseases been cured by healers. But she showed me the wierdest photo I have seen. It basically showed her Aura, it was taken by a special camera, and there were things that she had to do to obtain the aura. But this aura was pure white, and there was a VERY definite image of two people looking over her. Very spooky, but at the same time very eye opening.


I have been the correspondent in this treatment so I in fact do believe in it, the bunkem bit was because I thought she may have been making it up. A while ago I suffered a bit from an aching leg, a friend of mine just said "Come here and trust me", he then laid his hands on my leg, and I could feel intense heat, not a burning heat but, a heat similar to the deep heat creams you get for stiff joints. The pain dispersed, and I felt no more for weeks. So it is something that I would willingly dabble in.


Finally, I come to the last item on the list;


Voodo


Voodoo isn't just about sticking pins in dolls that have something personal of the victim woven into it. It is far more than that. In some places it is more of a religion than of a thing to avoid. The stories of voodoo zombies, and witch doctors are mostly exagerrated, I say mostly, as there is the story of a woman on Haiti that died, and was buried, yet a week later she was seen walking about in the woods.


There are other tales as well involving voodoo, and the voodoo curse laid on people. The thing is though yopu really have to believe in it for the 'magic' to work. I say really believe, but even just doubting slightly the religion can invoke strange things to happen. This is one of those things that I would gladly steer clear of.


A Word on Urban Legends and Myths


So there you have it, 4 things to consider on Halloween, it is not long from midnight here, and I will refrain from saying, Bloody Mary ten times in front of a mirror, I will not be walking anti-clockwise around a graveyard whilst reciting the lords prayer backwards. I wont even be saying Candyman 10 times in front of the mirror.


I wont do it, not because I believe in the urban legends, but rather I don't believe I want to see what they say you see if you do carry them out.



Sleep tight folks


No comments: