Thursday, October 19, 2006

Entertainment

The Biggest Loser UK









Watched this for the second time last night, and once again (me being Pisces prone to emotional outbursts) it had the tears welling up in my eyes at the end.
For those that don't know, the program is the UK version of the American show, and takes a group of athletically Challenged people (or Fatso's if you want to be rude), and puts them into two teams, then over the course of 8 or so weeks, they have to do gruelling exercise regimes, diet, and carry out challenges against each other. At the end of the week comes the weigh in, at first it is the teams weight that determines which team has to vote to get rid of one of their own members, later it is the two that have lost the least weight that then go in a vote off.
So is it any good? Well...

Last week's show saw one guy lose just over a stone in weight, and the team lose 3.8% of their combined body weight. It also saw one of them almost have a coronary, which wasn't very pleasant.
But the most interesting thing is the fact that the show was recorded 3 months ago, so it shows at the end the person voted off, and what they look like now. Some of them are unrecognisable, their will and determination, has carried on from the Fat Camp, and into reality.
I was convinced that they had some stand in for one of the guys in the states he looked that different, but he had lost 12 stone! Which goes to show people can lose the weight if they really have the right mind set.

The picture above is of Andrew, who incidently has been put onto the girls team. He actually looks thinner than the soundman, may be they ought to change places. Andrews team have lost 2 of their members already, which means their overall chances have (excuse the pun) become a lot slimmer, as their combined body weight loss is now based on 4 peoples weights as opposed to 6, also women lose weight slower than men - another disadvantage.


The results so far after two weeks are:

RED TEAMS TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS - 107 lbs (48.53Kgs)

BLUE TEAMS TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS - 60lbs (27.21Kgs)

So the Women of the Blue team have a huge way to go to catch up.


I also saw a preview of next weeks show, where Alan, one of the bigger guys had an oxygen mask on, and an ambulance was taking someone away. I don't enjoy Ghoulish TV, but that should be quite interesting.

Now take a look at this before and after picture of the one of the contestants on America's Biggest Loser 2, Pete Thomas, he lost a whopping 180lbs (81.6Kg) and you will see what I mean by the fact they are totally different, and he wasn't the winner!






The winner of America's Biggest Loser 2 is shown below, alongside the young lady who finished in the top 3. Before she went on the biggest loser, she was single. I doubt she is anymore!







I think you will agree they look like completely different people.

That now leads me onto the next show I saw, before watching the Biggest Loser, and you will see how the two are linked.

You Are What You Eat





I don't think they have this particular program or anything similar in the States, but I am sure that my American friends will tell me.

The synopsis is that Dr Gillian McKeith surprises larger people, by going round to their houses and then gets them to heat more healthily and do exercise, sound familiar?? The difference with this show is that as a Doctor, Gillian gets the 'victim' to Pooh in a Tupperware container so that she can examine it, so determining their state of health. I kid you not, Gillian McKeith is a Pooh Inspector!


The show is fascinating as it lays out on a table or something the fat and food intake of these porky people in one week. Then it reels of a list, some of the people's diets featured could feed me for a month let alone a week.


Take a look at this, it is the amount of Burger Meat and fat one 16 Year old girl went through in a year.





As you can see it looks pretty gross, it was done in the shape of a human, as Gillian said to the youngster that she would collapse in the street from heart failure if she carried on eating the amount of burgers she was.


But, Gillian doesn't just put them on a diet and exercise regime for 8 weeks, she makes them cook their own food, and involves the whole family.


Both shows are very interesting to watch, although last week I thought that Gillian was a bit naughty, when she mixed up a 'juice' of blended broccoli, cabbage and parsley, sipped it, pulled a YUCK! face, and then proceeded to tell the young Burger girl she was to drink two of them per day!


I myself need to shed about 8 pounds, and have started by cutting out the chocolate, if Gillian ever visited me though, I would make sure I had a curry the night before my Pooh Check ;)


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't really get into watching the Biggest Loser when I was in America, but we were able to get the last season here and I watched most of it. It's a pretty interesting show and I'm happy for the people who lose so much weight. I just can't see them losing it so fast. I think it's unhealthy to lose weight fast.

So, here I am a dumb American in need of a British lesson. How much does a Stone weigh? Is it a big stone or a little one? :o) I love learning about things like this.

The only thing else I want to say is.....ummmm, pooh check? What is this world coming to?

Impman said...

OK 1 stone is 14lbs, and there are 2.2lbs to a Kg.

Yep Pooh check - UNREALLLLLLL!!!!

Anonymous said...

weight loss is great but its th measurements that count. i've recently lost 10% body fat and 4" from my waist, but still weigh exactly the same.

Impman said...

Well done You!!!!

Anonymous said...

I recently went to my doctors and I gained mumble mumble pounds. I joked about eating my way through 4 states but he didn't share my humor. I watch Biggest Loser and root for my favorite person, and now I am going to have to root for myself. I know what eat and how to do it so I am not concerned. Both shows are great because of not only the entertainment value but educational as well.

Impman said...

Dead Right Pepper, and the best of luck to you for losing those extra few pounds. I am sure you have picked up a few tips from TBL