Thursday, July 31, 2008

Entertainment

Can you beat the Classics?
This is a question that is going to form part of my poll, it stems from my daughter watching "Willy Wonka and his Chocolate Factory" before going to bed, that is the original one with Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. She thinks(and she is 8) that it is the best one, because it is funnier and the songs are better. I have to agree, what's more it got me to thinking about these classic films that never lose their appeal whatever the decade they are seen in.

So how about these two;
















I would say half the world must have seen these two films at one point or another and an awful lot of people remember the songs. Why? Because they actually meant something, were easy to follow and they were geniunely catchy tunes.

Can ANY film house improve on these or remake them? I doubt it.

Johnny Depp was a brilliant Willy Wonka, but the film relied to heavily on special effects, something the original had very little of, it relied more on the human factor.

Nanny Mcphee I suppose is a try at doing a Mary Poppins, but the 'magic' is just not there.

I geniunely believe that these are two films that could NEVER be remade, they simply cannot be improved upon, even with the actors of today.


I'd be very interested to know if you out there in the internet world wide web can think of any other truely classic films that can never again be repeated.

The Godfather 2 probably can, ET yep that can be done too, Star Wars? Compare the new films with the original trilogy = PANTS!

There are probably so many out there that I haven't covered, but these two really are timeless classics, that will never see the like again. Just don't forget to let your kids watch it, and then when they misbehave, threaten them with this;


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Dave, sorry to hear mate... Have you got anything lined up yet? We are pretty quiet here too. Got a Brazil trip next week and then my holls and after that one more on the schedule and then its empty for the time being... Take care mate, hope you find a new job soon, Regards, Elmer.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Elmer,

May have an interview next week with British Nuclear Services which should be OK.

Your still travelling hard though as I see from your blog!

All the best!