Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Following the Imps

My First Game in 11 years....

This was it on July 22nd 2006, I was allowed (Thanks Jackie!), by my wife to actually go and see a footy match for the first time since we were married. It also corresponded with our 11th Wedding anniversary, so may be her indoors saw it as a gift for me (even though entry was FREE!!!!).


The game was to take place at Rockingham Road home to the mighty Kettering Town FC

Once managed for a while by Paul "Gazza" Gasgoine, this was going to be fun. So taking my father along with me (An Arsenal fan...well someone has to be), we got to the ground at 2:20, and went behind the goal to soak up the atmosphere. The storm clouds far away adding a nice coolness to the air, the father-in-law worried we would get wet should it rain, so I asked a steward if we could move to undercover should it pour, the response "No problem".

Fifteen minutes before kick off, and they moved us to the shelter of the side terrace, as they were expecting a bit of a storm, plenty of room as there were only about 30 of us City fans there.At 10 to 3 it started to spit, by 3pm (Kick of time) it was a deluge, you've seen films of storms at sea, well Kettering had become Brighton in the hurricane season. The noise was deafening the site of the players dragging themselves on the pitch pitiful. The camera's and Mobile phones were recording things for prosperity.

Kick off began, and almost straightaway the ball got stuck in a puddle, the game carried on then 2 players went up for the ball, when the splashed down, the judges gave them 3.6,2.8,3.2 and 3.5 for artistic merit, they lost points for rating too bigger splash....still the game carried on, then a collision, and an Imp (Colin Cryan) injured. On swam the physio, dipped the magic sponge into the pitch and re-soaked Colin. Ohh Dear!


A bigger Oh dear came next, reserve keeper Simon Raynor came to clear a simple looking ball, he went to kick it as hard as he could upfield, but only ended up kicking the raindrops, as the ball skidded beneath his foot and headed toward the goal. Luckily, he scrambled back and kicked away the ball out of the puddle it had stuck in before the Kettering player could touch it.


Then at 15:10, the ref blew his whistle, and gathered the players around, as they huddled around the players tunnel, the announcer said "The referee will wait 15 minutes for the weather to clear before proceeding"....Weather to clear??? This was a Squall at sea, if they had any sand on the pitch, it could be a beach! 15:12....The announcer says "Owing to Public Safety and the Dressing rooms been flooded the game has been cancelled"
Boo's all round, and disappointment all round, but Why?? you couldn't play in that, it was free to get in?!!
But for me it was heartbreaking, an 11 year wait to see 11 mins of footy from my heroes, I may make it to my 20th Wedding Anniversary and if I do can I see 20 minutes this time???



Both Pictures (C) of KAPPA PICTURES






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think you need a spellchecker and as for the excess apostrophes!!!
I refer you to this website for correct usage!
http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/


I assume you did not attend a grammar school and if you did shame on you!

Anonymous said...

You assume correctly, and grammer never was my strong point!