Thursday, May 10, 2007

Travel

India Again!!!

Why is it the places you least like going to always seem to be the ones you go to the most??

Well this was my 5Th visit to India (I am writing this from the Imperial Hotel in New Delhi), and it will probably rate as my best and worst. My best because I stayed in two fantastic hotels in Delhi. My worst because I stayed for 6 hours in the cement plant hospital with a glucose and saline drip in me!

So what happened??

It all began pretty well, flight was on time, and I got mt at Delhi airport where I was taken to a 4 star hotel. On the way though they telephoned the driver and told him to divert to a sister hotel as they had double booked the room. I didn't mind this as the sister hotel was a 5 star one, so I was feeling rather happy. But then the driver received another call saying that someone had checked out, and a room was now available. "Oh well thems the breaks" I thought.
When I got to the hotel, I was told I had been upgraded to a deluxe suite at no additional cost - GET IN THERE!

So after a jolly comfy night and morning, I met up with my Indian colleague and took a taxi to.... the train station! The bloody train again!! 5 hours on a train to get to our destination and then another 2 to get to the site. Then at the site they wanted us to share a room with 4 others!! HA HA HA HA HA I started to say, but they were serious! Finally, we managed to get separate rooms.

The job was going OK, but on the 3rd day on site I was feeling a bit rough, well that night by God did I suffer, puking and other things too delicate to mention here all night! OK liquified comes to mind! So I had about 30 minutes kip, and understandably looked a little rough the next day. Keyur asked for the doctor, and she came about 20 minutes later, took temperature and measured my pulse, stating "he is Feverish, Dehydrated and Hypoglycemic we will have to put him on a drip". So loosely translated I wasn't very well! Keyur then asked about pills or other things I could take so I could stay in the room, to which the doc replied "It's not an option he has to go into hospital"

So that was that, on a saline and glucose drip, and then a bloody painful injection in the top of my thigh (which I had to have an ice-pack for the nurse hit bone or something, so I was in bloody agony!).
I then fell straight to sleep, 6 hours later I was discharged, and 20 minutes after getting out of my hospital bed I was on the roof of a building in 40 degree heat trying to get the job finished!

It's amazing really, everytime I come to India I lose weight, but I didn't really want to lose it the way I did!

The rest of the trip went pretty much as expected, and I am fully recovered now, even after a marathon 14 hours at work in the heat the day before yesterday (8th). So I write this in a luxury hotel ($425 a night!) just waiting to get back and see the family again.

One thing is for certain though I NEED A NEW JOB!!!

Until the next time then.

4 comments:

ladyluck3819 said...

happy you recover quickly...
And I hope you can really find a new job quickly!!

Will said...

40 degree heat ain't bad, it was 85 yesterday...oh wait, you mean celsius. Glad you made it.

charleston south carolina real estate said...

India...a place that I've always wanted to see...I love their food, dress and architecture...thank you for sharing your passion

Had a friend that got "laid up in a Bombay hospital"...

Hope you're doing better...

Becca

Charleston South Carolina Real Estate

Anonymous said...

Thanks Guys, am much better now.

Thanks for the comments Becca, and welcome.

I was in the more shall we say 'remote' part of India, in a place called Lakheri. My job generally takes me to these area's.

'True' India (not the tourist areas) is a world apart from the tourist regions, and should be experienced by everyone, especially the kids who moan they can't have more than 3 hours on their PS2! Show them the REAL meaning of poverty, and they will realise how lucky they are!